google search this blog, doesn't always work

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

So that's what you do with the 5 inch camp oven



I never sought out a 5 inch camp oven, because I couldn't imagine it being useful for much, except as an outdoor melting pot.

I'm still not going to pay $300 for one, which is the going rate for a Lodge. It's a very hot collector's item.

But after reading this recipe in "101 things to do with a dutch oven", I now understand why it can be useful.

On the other hand, the Lodge 6 inch camp oven is just as useful for the same purpose, and a lot cheaper!

I don't have that one either. So, what is this purpose I discovered?

Making cinnamon rolls. You make your bread in the regular camp oven, and the cinnamon frosting in the tiny camp oven.

In other words, it's an outdoor melting pot.

There are recipes out there specifically for this pot, and eventually I will try them in my 1 quart pot.

I've never made cinnamon rolls, so my first attempt would almost certainly be in the kitchen instead of outdoors, but this recipe looks good.

It calls for a 12 inch camp oven AND a 5 inch camp oven (or 6 inch, if you'd rather save money):

In a bowl, combine 2 cups flour, 1 tsp salt, and 2 tsp baking powder.* Cut in 3/4 cups of shortening.

*Or just use self rising flour.

Add 1/2 cup of milk and mix until dough forms. Roll out to 12 x 16 inches, about 1/4 inch thick.

Grate 3 or 4 apples and place evenly over the top; Sprinkle with cinnamon.

Roll the dough like a jelly roll, and cut into 12 rolls. Place in the large camp oven.

In the small camp oven, melt 1/4 cup butter. Add 2 cups water, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup brown sugar, and cinnamon.

Melt together until smooth. Brush over rolls.

Bake rolls for 30 minutes at 350. If doing this outside, that means 8 coals on bottom, 16 on top.

Similarly, you can make hot buttered rolls by melting butter in the tiny skillet and then brushing over your favorite rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment