google search this blog, doesn't always work

Thursday, July 21, 2011

"loaf pans are great to cook in!"

Before I started really cooking, I never saw any need to have a loaf pan; After all, I could buy bread from the store-- why would I need it?

And one day it was suggested to me, whether you plan to make bread or not, "Loaf pans are great to cook in!"

I've talked about using loaf pans in my blog before. I use them for making bread and meatloaf, of course.

I've also used them for precooked frozen turkey loaf, and answered a question about how many pounds of beef fit in a loaf pan.

So besides that, why else are they great to cook in?

It's all about thinking outside the box. You can use them to make side dishes and desserts too.

Anything that can be cooked in a small pot, can be cooked in a loaf pan.

I made cobbler in mine:

Mix 1 cup bisquick with 1/2 cup of milk (more if needed),1/2 cup of sugar, and 2 tbsp melted butter.

Put your fruit in the pan first, then pour the mixture over the fruit. Into the oven at 375.

Lodge had discontinued their loaf pans for a few years, but now they're back by popular demand.

Since it's cast iron, you can use it on the stovetop as well as in the oven.

Old Mountain makes a loaf pan, but the ends are slightly beveled, not straight like a traditional loaf pan.

My first loaf pan was a Sante Cabin because I couldn't get a Lodge one. I kept that one, but sold the Old Mountain one.


No comments:

Post a Comment