google search this blog, doesn't always work

Monday, July 18, 2011

recipe calling for two 10 inch skillets?

This recipe caught my eye, for the very reason that it calls for two Lodge 10 1/4 inch skillets.

Normally I'd be tempted to try it out for that reason alone. I only have one of those skillets, but there are others that I can easily substitute for the other, such as the Lodge square skillet.

But because I loathe peppers of any kind, I'm not a fan of "mexican cornbread" which is what this recipe is.

So I'll just post the recipe without trying it out myself, OK?

It's from the cookbook "A Skillet Full".

"Mexican Cornbread for a crowd"

4 tbsp cooking oil, divided
3 cups white self rising cornmeal
1 1/2 cups plain flour
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup finely chopped bell pepper
1/2 cup diced pimentos
2 or 3 Jalepeno peppers, finely chopped
1 2/3 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 15 oz can cream style corn
1/2 cup cooking oil
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 cup sour cream
3 eggs, beaten

Put 2 tbsp oil in each skillet and place in oven while preheating to 400.

Mix cornmeal, flour, and sugar. Add onion, bell pepper, pimento, jalepeno peppers. Stir carefully.

Add cheese, corn, cooking oil, buttermilk, sour cream, and eggs. Mix well.

Divide into hot skillets. Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until done.

Apparently you can also use a Lodge bundt cake pan, but those are no longer made and hard to find.

Good to know, though, that two skillets can be substituted for recipes that call for a bundt pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment