google search this blog, doesn't always work

Thursday, July 28, 2011

I thought "ragout" was a spaghetti sauce

The following recipe is from a "5 ingredient" crock pot cookbook.

I used a cast iron pot*, and it's actually more than 5 ingredients. It's called Beef and Bean Ragout.

*Anything that can be cooked in a crock pot, can be cooked in a cast iron pot, on low heat.

I always thought "ragout", prounounced like Ragu, was spaghetti sauce. Frankly, this turned out to be very similar.

Cut some roast into cubes*. Brown in oil, in the bottom of the pot.

*This was my first time using Adolph's meat tenderizer on anything. I sprinkled it on the meat before I cut it. So far, I like it.

Add a can of roasted garlic diced tomatoes, a can of tomato sauce, half a pack of frozen loose pack hash browns (diced, not shredded), chopped onions, minced garlic, and a can of red kidney beans drained.

The recipe also called for chopped bell peppers; I loathe peppers, so I left them out.

I added some bacon bits too; That wasn't in the recipe.

At first I thought there wouldn't be enough liquid, but the frozen potatoes generated plenty of it.

Let it cook at first on medium, because the potatoes are frozen, then reduce to low.

I added shredded parmesan cheese afterward.

If this wasn't supposed to be spaghetti sauce, it sure was close to it! Spaghetti sauce with added potatoes and beans.

Actually I'd have preferred 93% lean ground beef instead of stew meat. After all, that is how I make spaghetti sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment