google search this blog, doesn't always work

Saturday, July 16, 2011

high desert cornish game hens

The following recipe is modified from the manual that came with the ultimate turkey roaster.

I don't have my ultimate turkey roaster anymore, so I used a 5 quart cast iron pot.

First you have to make the stuffing:

Chop a sweet yellow onion and cook down in olive oil, in a cast iron skillet.

Put the onions in a bowl, along with wheat bread broken into 2 inch pieces, and a can of cream of chicken soup.

Add sage and "grub rub" seasoning*. Mix.**

*Grub Rub is an all purpose seasoning available in my local store; you can order it online.

**The recipe called for Camp Chef Sidewinder wing seasoning, which I do not have. So I used grub rub.

The recipe called for stuffing the hens with this mixture, but I baked it separately in a skillet.

Coat the cornish hens with "grub rub" and sage. Spray with olive oil Pam. Place in a cast iron pot, in the oven at 350.

I removed the stuffing when it was done, after about 45 minutes.

After an hour and a half, the hens still weren't quite done, so I took the lid off and roasted another 30 minutes. It helped to brown the skin.

I have to say, the stuffing and the birds were quite good.

Next I'm going to try the final recipe in the manual, which is ultimate roast.

Previously I tried the other two recipes which were ultimate veggies and yankee ribs.


No comments:

Post a Comment