google search this blog, doesn't always work

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Second attempt at cast iron cooked popcorn



I previously posted about my first experience with popcorn in cast iron, and said that between the mess and being slightly overcooked, I would be sticking with microwave popcorn in the future.

Then a loyal reader of my blog posted her popping method, which she claimed was a lot better.

So I decided to try it.

Use 1/4 cup oil to 1 cup kernels. 1 cup is plenty for a 5 quart pot.

Some suggest that peanut oil is the best choice for popcorn, but I used Orville Redenbacher popping oil.

Put the oil and kernels in the pot BEFORE you turn on the heat.* Turn the heat to medium and put the lid on.

*Instead of preheating the pot, like I had done before.

When it starts to pop, shake the pot.

Periodically crack the lid to check on the popping; Don't take it all the way off, of course.

I took it off the heat when the popping slowed down. I was happy that there were NO overcooked kernels!

I found, after I emptied the pot, there were a few tablespoons of unpopped kernels, which probably would have popped if I left it longer on the heat, but it's better than being overcooked, in my opinion.

Add salt and melted butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment