google search this blog, doesn't always work

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Seafood Skillets

The following recipe is from "A Skillet Full", a cookbook from the Lodge cast iron company.

I almost never follow recipes to the letter; This one I only slightly modified.

The recipe calls for four, 5 inch wonder skillets.

I only have two of those, so I also used baking dishes. A 6 inch round skillet would have worked just as well.

You could possibly use Lodge tableware, or a 5 inch round skillet, or a 4 inch square. But in that case, you'll have to cut down the fish fillets, so they'll fit.

Mix the following in a bowl: 1 beaten egg, 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs, a dash of tabasco sauce, 1 tsp lemon juice, 1/2 cup cream.*

*I actually used half and half, to make it a little less bad for me.

Heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet* and cook down finely chopped onions and finely chopped celery.

*You could do this in each individual skillet, or one big skillet and divide them into the little skillets afterward.

In the skillets, first add the cooked down onions and celery, then a fish fillet*, then a few pieces of shrimp**, then the mixed ingredients from the bowl.

*Any type of white fish will do. I used tilapia.

**The original recipe also calls for scallops, but I omitted them to save money.

Crush some crackers and sprinkle on top; Add a 1/2 tsp of butter.

Bake 30 minutes, then brown under the broiler for about 5 minutes.

I found they needed a little "kick," so I added some old bay seasoning after they were done.

No comments:

Post a Comment