google search this blog, doesn't always work

Friday, July 15, 2011

The griswold #9 dutch oven

This is a Griswold #9 dutch oven. Why is that so important?

For the past couple of years, I've been searching for a 6 quart pot for indoor use, in regular cast iron.

In this article, I lamented that Lodge makes a 6 quart enameled pot, and a 6 quart camp oven, but NOT a regular 6 quart pot, in regular cast iron.

And neither does anybody else!

Now, why was that so important? Because I had a pot in every quart size, EXCEPT 6; I could not find one.

Thirty years ago, Lodge did make a 6 quart pot; The model number was 9DO. If you find one of those, it's very rare.

And twenty years ago, they made a 6 quart flat bottomed straight kettle, which I've been looking for, and have not found.

So I saw this Griswold pot on ebay. It was a #9. Pots used to be sold by model number, not volume.

So, since the Lodge 6 quart pot was a #9, I guessed that the Griswold 6 quart pot was also a #9. It was a gamble, but I had to try it out.

At first I did a visual check next to my 5 quart pot. My face fell, because they looked nearly the same.

Then came the water test; Indeed, 6 quarts of water filled this pot.

So, if you're looking for a 6 quart cast iron pot, suitable for indoor use... The Griswold #9 is the one you want.




1 comment: