google search this blog, doesn't always work

Thursday, July 14, 2011

my first borscht

Borscht is a Russian soup.

I got this recipe from a "5 ingredient" cookbook.

It was pretty simple, really.

I browned beef cubes in cooking oil, in a cast iron skillet before transferring to the pot; The original recipe did not include that step.

With the beef cubes, I added a can of beets (two would have been better), a jar of red cabbage, an envelope of Lipton onion soup mix, and some beef broth.

The original recipe called for water; Broth is always better.

I had trouble finding the jar of red cabbage; It was by the kosher foods in the grocery store. I figured it would be by the sauerkraut, but it wasn't.

Apparently you can also add onions, carrots and potatoes, but this recipe didn't include those ingredients.

Serve topped with sour cream.

Since I'm from South Louisiana and we eat rice with our soups and stews, I cooked some rice to pour it over.

This "5 ingredient" cookbook appears to be too simple for me, but I still can get ideas from it.


No comments:

Post a Comment