google search, doesn't always work

Lijit Search, click on "site" tab after you search for more results

Monday, October 11, 2010

the Griswold square egg skillet














This was the Griswold square egg skillet.

At 4 5/8 inches, it was meant for cooking one egg.

The egg would shape itself perfectly to fit on a piece of toast.

It's too expensive; The Lodge "wonder skillet" serves the same purpose, for less money.

I can't find any information on why it's called a "wonder skillet."

My best guess is, it can cook a grilled cheese sandwich made with Wonder bread.

But I "wondered" (no pun intended) how that was possible. Wouldn't the sandwich be awkward to flip, since the skillet is so small?

So I decided to find out this morning. I used a serving spatula, and it was no trouble at all.

You could make an "egg in a basket" with this skillet, which I have never made. You know, a piece of bread with a hole in the middle, with an egg cracked in it and fried?

In the cookbook "a skillet full", there's a recipe for "seafood skillets" which calls for 4 wonder skillets.

But, I'm sure small skillets or griddles of any shape will work.

They used to make a 4 inch "small wonder skillet", but it was discontinued.

It's too small to fit a piece of bread. I guess you could cook one egg, or meat to go on a sandwich.

Then again, you could do that on a 5 inch skillet too. I'm not surprised it was discontinued.




2 comments:

  1. I have this and the matching bigger piece.. they have a little rust on them. How would I properly clean and season them? I dont want to mess them up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can use coca cola to clean surface rust off a cast iron pan. You'll probably have to reseason it.

    My article on how to season cast iron is here:

    http://ramblingsoncastiron.blogspot.com/2010/06/how-to-season-cast-iron.html

    ReplyDelete