google search this blog, doesn't always work

Thursday, October 28, 2010

pecan brownies from scratch

This was the first time I dared try to make brownies from scratch.

I am very picky about brownies. I only like a certain variety of Duncan Hines.

But I decided to try the recipe that was in Cast Iron Cuisine: From Breakfast to Dessert, since I haven't found a recipe in that cookbook, that I haven't liked.

The only thing I did differently was, I used self rising flour instead of regular, used two eggs instead of one, and added a little more flour.

That's because I prefer a cake-like brownie, to a fudge-like brownie.

Although some would argue that fudge brownies are more authentic, I like the cake ones.

Leave 4 tbsp (a half stick) butter out on the counter to soften. Don't let the dog get it.

Melt one tablet* of mexican table chocolate (ibarra) in a double boiler.

*Use two tablets for a more chocolatey flavor.

Cream the butter by beating* it until it's light. Add 4 tbsp olive oil, one tbsp at a time, blending in.

*Use an electric hand mixer-- it's much easier.

Beat in 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, then egg(s), then chocolate. Blend well.

Sift 3/4 cup of self rising flour with 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk. Then combine with other ingredients.

Stir in 1 cup chopped pecans. Put in a cast iron pie pan or small skillet.

I would have used my square baker, but the recipe called for a 9 inch pan, and that's 8 inches.

Bake 20 minutes at 375. Remove and let it cool before cutting and serving.

I liked these brownies because they weren't too sweet and fudgy, like some scratch brownies.

Incidentally, this was my second attempt at making them. The first time I forgot the eggs, and ended up with a powdery mess. Never forget the eggs!

I think that if I had used two chocolate tablets instead of one, it would have been more chocolatey, and thus identical to the Duncan Hines brownies I usually enjoy.

Which makes sense, because the one I always get is "double chocolate".



No comments:

Post a Comment