google search this blog, doesn't always work

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Cast iron plett pan, part 2

A plett pan is a griddle with circle indentations, for making silver dollar pancakes.

When I first posted about the cast iron plett pan, I said that it must be awkward to flip the pancakes in their individual indentations.

Today I actually used one to make silver dollar pancakes.

Pictured above is a serving spatula, which is what I used to flip them.

A regular spatula would have been too big, and a pie server didn't work well at all.

Since I was out of bisquick, I used my recipe for scratch pancakes: 2 cups self rising flour*, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 egg, 4 tbsp melted butter**, 2 cups milk.

*Self rising flour, OR 2 cups all purpose, 3 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt.

**I wonder how pancakes would taste with olive oil instead of butter?

A plett pan is meant to make swedish pancakes or russian pancakes, but what I made was good old American pancakes.

I used a measuring tablespoon, and found that each circle took 2 tbsp of batter.

They cook quickly, so by the time all of your circles are filled, the first one will be about ready to flip.

It took a little practice, but wasn't as hard as it seemed.

What else can you do with a plett pan? Bake biscuits, use as a grill pan, reheat leftovers. Scramble eggs and cook them in the molds for breakfast sandwiches.

Here's a plett recipe I found: 2 eggs, 3 cups milk, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp salt, 1 1/2 cups flour.

Apparently, pletts are thinner than American pancakes.

Here's 3 more authentic recipes:

3 eggs, 2 cups milk, 3/4 cups flour, 3 tbsp sugar, 3 tbsp melted butter

OR

6 eggs, 1 1/4 cups flour, 1 tsp salt, 1 qt milk

OR

1/4 cup cream, 1/2 cup milk, 1 egg, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 cup sifted flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tbsp sugar, 2 tbsp melted butter

No comments:

Post a Comment