google search this blog, doesn't always work

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Old mountain square baking pan

This is the old mountain cast iron square baking pan. It's 8x8 inches.

The volume is approximately 1 1/2 quarts.

They also have a 9x13 rectangular baking pan, which I call the lasagna pan.

I had hoped to find a story about the 8 inch square baking pan, about how it came to be a standard size.

All I could find was the original patent, calling it a multi purpose baking utensil.

Of course "multi purpose baking utensils" already existed-- they were called skillets.

A square baking pan is sometimes called a "brownie pan" because it's used for brownies, and most brownie recipes call for an 8 inch square pan.

Here's some cool brownie info, with tips on how to make them from scratch.

So far, I have not figured out what I'm going to do with this pan.

There's lots of things you could do: Desserts, breakfasts, side dishes, small casseroles, a small portion of lasagna.

I just haven't done any of those things yet*.

*I finally got around to making this breakfast recipe.

It's small enough to fit in the toaster oven, as well as the small burner on the stove.

4 comments:

  1. I'm doing an epub version of Cast Iron Cuisine from Breakfast to Dessert. Epub allows hotlinks. I really like your discussion about how the old cast iron pieces' numbers relate to the modern cast iron diameter markings. Can we talk about the possibility of my linking the epub version of our book to your blog discussion about sizes and numbers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, if you want. You mean my post on "what do the model numbers mean"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. I would far rather refer readers to your discussion than paraphrase it or try to reconstruct the information myself. You have a very engaging blog here, and I think referring readers to it directly, with a hyperlink to that particular post in my epub document, would enhance our readers' experience. But I would only do it with your permission.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure... good to know my blog is engaging. :)

    ReplyDelete