google search this blog, doesn't always work

Saturday, June 26, 2010

modified version of Breakfast Lasagna




Well, since I didn't use the cast iron lasagna pan* for my lasagna the other night, I decided to use it this morning for Breakfast Lasagna.

*Lodge does not have one; this pan is by Old Mountain.

This recipe is modified from the cookbook "Cast Iron Cuisine: From Breakfast to Dessert."

I've had eggs portuguese before, which is made with sausage, and this is similar.

The recipe called for bacon, but I used ham. It also called for 18 eggs; I'm sure it would have been delicious with that many eggs, but also loaded with cholesterol, so I only used 6. It was fine.

Took a half loaf of sliced bread that was nearing the end of its useful life*, and laid some slices in the pan**. Then put some chopped ham and shredded cheddar/monterey jack cheese.***

*Fresh bread would be wonderful, but I wanted to use up this bread.

**In the future, I will break the bread into smaller pieces.

***Any combination of breakfast meat and cheese would work for this recipe.

Put the rest of the slices on top of that, and added more shredded cheese.

Beat 6 eggs in a bowl with some milk, poured it on top. In the oven at 350.

It was very good, although a much lower ratio of eggs to other stuff, than the recipe intended. If I were making this for a crowd, I'd have certainly put more eggs in it, but there's only 2 of us.

In fact, I plan to take the leftovers tomorrow, add more eggs and re-bake it.

--Next time I will most definitely soak the bread in some eggs and milk beforehand. This gives it the taste of french toast, and makes it 10 times better!

No comments:

Post a Comment