google search this blog, doesn't always work

Monday, August 30, 2010

Breadsticks without the breadstick pan.

I don't have a cast iron breadstick pan, so I wanted to make breadsticks today, to prove that I can, without the breadstick pan.

I put the rolled up dough in my cornstick pan, and whatever was left, I laid out on my pizza pan.

The breadsticks on the pizza pan turned out flat and overdone on the bottom; The cornstick pan allowed for better air circulation underneath.

I got this recipe straight from the manual of my bread machine:

3/4 cup + 1 tbsp warm water (next time I'll try milk)
3 tbsp butter
3 cups bread flour
3 1/2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp dry milk (next time I'll omit this and use milk)
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp bread machine yeast

Put ingredients in the bread machine on dough cycle. When dough is done, roll it into sticks and place in cast iron. Into the oven at 400.*

*450 makes a lighter bread, which I prefer.

These did taste good, but were more dense than I'd have liked*.

*I've since learned that adding gluten, more rise time, and higher temp makes a lighter bread.

Next time I'll try the standard white bread recipe and see if they turn out fluffier.

And, I have since obtained a breadstick pan, so now I need to try them in an actual breadstick pan!

No comments:

Post a Comment