google search, doesn't always work

Lijit Search, click on "site" tab after you search for more results

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Braised Oxtail, that wasn't oxtail

The following recipe is modified from Cast Iron Cuisine: From Breakfast to Dessert.

When I first saw this recipe, I thought oxtail was, literally, tail from an ox. And I wondered, "Where am I going to get oxtail?"

And then yesterday, I saw oxtail in the supermarket. It's actually cut up beef tails.

I decided that it was too much fat and too little meat for the price, but I still wanted to try the recipe. So I cut up some chuck roast to use instead.

So this is a modified version of Braised Oxtail, without the oxtail.

The original recipe calls for aging the meat in the fridge for 3 to 5 days. This meat was on clearance sale, so I aged it 1 day.

Trim the fat off the chuck roast as you cut it up. Add black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder.

Brown the meat in a little butter in a cast iron skillet. Remove the meat, and deglaze with red wine.

Return the meat and add beef broth, garlic cloves, fresh cilantro. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, simmer for a couple of hours.

Then remove the meat, reduce the liquid, and add Wondra flour to thicken into gravy.

Serve over rice.

This is essentially, beef tips over rice, but had I used oxtail, then it would be braised oxtail!

2 comments:

  1. Ox tails are a radically different cut of meat than chuck roast. Each is beautiful in its own way. The ox tail makes a powerful statement by contributing what appears to be fat but is actually collagen, which gives the dish a unique flavor that only ox tails (or other collagen-rich cuts of meat) can contribute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't aware of that... gonna have to try real ox tails at some point... It WAS good beef tips though!

    ReplyDelete