google search this blog, doesn't always work

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Braised Oxtail, that WAS oxtail

The cookbook Cast Iron Cuisine: From Breakfast to Dessert has a recipe for Braised Oxtail.

In an earlier post, I wrote about how I followed that recipe using chuck roast instead of oxtails.

Then I was told that, because oxtails contain collagen, they taste radically different.

So I decided to try the recipe using oxtails. And I have to say, it's not like anything I've tried before.

One package will only yield enough meat for one person; Oxtails are mostly bone and cartilage. The meat part is good, though.

Here's the recipe, which I modified slightly:

Remove excess fat from the oxtails, season with salt and pepper (I added onion powder and garlic powder) and age in the fridge for 3 to 5 days.

Brown the tails in butter in a cast iron skillet. Then transfer the tails to a cast iron pot.

Deglaze with skillet with red wine. Pour the liquid into the pot.

Pour in some beef stock. I added minced garlic.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, simmer on the stove. Or transfer to the oven at 325.

Slow cook until done. Check periodically and add liquid if needed.

Remove the tails from the liquid, transfer liquid to a container and place in the refrigerator. Remove the fat cap that forms.

Then put it all back together, add some chopped fresh cilantro, and reheat in the oven. I added some wondra flour to thicken the liquid.

The first time I made this recipe, I used chuck roast cut into cubes and served over rice. And it was awfully good beef tips over rice!

Since oxtail is mostly bone, you'll have some good bones to give the dog.


3 comments:

  1. Yay! Matt would be so proud!

    (For Christmas we should send you some garlic powder and onion powder.) (Just teasin')

    Love ya, GreenTurtle, you're a Wondra!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's OK, bring on the onion powder and garlic powder... that comes from my Italian background.

    My great grandmother was from Sicily and made scratch tomato sauce every single day until she died at 96.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marvelous! You know, that might be part of why you enjoy Matt's recipes: he's half Italian.

    Those vibrant elders are such an inspiration to us all! My mom is 96, and we're hoping she sticks around to be 100.

    ReplyDelete