google search this blog, doesn't always work

Friday, October 22, 2010

My first fried fish

I had not made fried fish before. Only baked or poached.

First I mixed corn flour, onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper and seasoned salt*.

*That's basically what Zatarain's Fish Fri is. Chick Fri is the above, with added paprika.

Put that mixture on a plate, then scrambled an egg in a bowl and added milk.

Took catfish nuggets, coated them in the egg / milk mixture, and dredged in the corn flour mixture.

Heat up canola oil in a cast iron skillet. Put two chopsticks in the oil; if it bubbles around the chopsticks, the oil is ready.

Pan fry the fish, a minute or two on each side.

I had no clue how to make hush puppies, so I took a completely wild guess at making them:

Mix 1 cup corn flour, 1 egg, and enough milk to form a thick batter.

Heat up canola oil in a 2 quart cast iron pot (these are deep fried, not pan fried).

When oil is ready, drop batter by the spoonful and let it deep fry until golden brown.

I tried the first one and realized I had the right idea, but I wanted them sweeter. So I added sugar to the remaining batter.

They tasted like beignets, as a result.

Next time, I'll use Jiffy cornbread mix, and make cornbread batter for hush puppies.

The corn flour wasn't bad, but I don't think that's what is normally used. Hush puppies normally have a consistency that is more like corn meal.

It was suggested to me, to add chopped onions and green onions to the batter.




No comments:

Post a Comment