google search this blog, doesn't always work

Friday, October 29, 2010

The cast iron panini press





These are cast iron panini makers. One is a panini iron, and one is a panini press.

The iron is used over a campfire or on the stove, and the press is used along with a grill pan.

Be sure you use a grill pan with flat ridges*, not pointy, so as not to poke holes in the bread.

*Current Lodge models have the flat ridges.

The Lodge panini press can be used as a grill press for meats, sandwiches, and anything that needs to be cooked from the top and bottom.

I wish I'd had one the last time I made quesadillas!

Panini, originating in Italy, have become very popular in recent years.

I've never tried one; Maybe I should!

It's a pressed sandwich, made with high quality bread and lightly brushed with olive oil.

Ingredients are usually Italian in nature.

They include deli meats such as ham or chicken, white cheese such as mozzarella or provolone, and veggies such as tomatoes, olives, or basil.

There are some great panini ideas here.

Well, since I've written about panini, and since I have a panini press, now I have to make one!


4 comments:

  1. Those will be perfect for the Skillet Pockets. Let me know if you try it, how they come out with an actual panini iron.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went and found the recipe, yes, they would be perfect for the skillet pockets. In fact I have some pita flat bread that I need to use up.

    Whatever you press with this panini press will have grill marks on it.

    It's quite handy, I just haven't used it yet.

    Just like my cake mixer...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Skillet Pockets were developed as they were, for people (such as myself) who didn't own a panini press. I am so envious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They sell electric ones, but the Lodge press can be used with your skillet or grill pan.

    ReplyDelete