google search this blog, doesn't always work

Friday, October 22, 2010

The cast iron long pan

This is a cast iron long pan. It's called a long pan because it's, well, long.

They were sometimes called "dry fry griddles." I'm not sure why.

They ranged from 18 to 22 inches; There were deep long pans, and shallow long pans.

Some had a spout in the corner, for pouring off excess fat.

They could be used for cooking, OR for heating clothes irons on the stove, but not both.

Coal and wood stoves used to come with "stove furniture" such as the above pan, or a grill pan.

You could remove plates from the stovetop and replace them with these pans.

Cast iron long griddles and grill pans are still sold today, but they are used on the burners, not as replacements for the burners.

1 comment:

  1. I have one of these with a No. 7 on top of both handles. It has double gate marks along with double X's. Can't find any online to find out how old it is.