google search, doesn't always work

Lijit Search, click on "site" tab after you search for more results

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Emerilware cast iron paella pan


This is Emerilware's enameled cast iron paella pan.

A paella pan is a large, shallow, flat pan used to make... paella!

It looks like a big skillet to me. There are no paella pans in traditional cast iron, but there certainly are big skillets in traditional cast iron!

It's up to you: Would you rather pay $90 for this pan, or $35 for a big Lodge skillet?

I've made paella before in a dutch oven, but my recent research indicates it may not have been the most authentic. It was good, though.

I made it similar to how I make jambalaya.

This is how I made it:

In the dutch oven, combine shrimp, smoked sausage, 1 cup rice, 1 cup clam juice, 1/2 cup chicken broth*, chopped onions, minced garlic, canned tomatoes, paprika, thyme and turmeric. Simmer covered until done.

*I used the same liquid to rice ratio as I use for jambalaya, which is 1 1/2 to 1.

You can find more information on paella cooking methods here and here.

The Emerilware jambalaya pan looks exactly like this pan, except it has a lid. And, while there are no "jambalaya pans" in traditional cast iron, there sure are skillets with lids in traditional cast iron!

So I'll have to research this further and maybe make a more authentic paella soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment