google search this blog, doesn't always work

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Emerilware cast iron paella pan


This is Emerilware's enameled cast iron paella pan.

A paella pan is a large, shallow, flat pan used to make... paella!

It looks like a big skillet to me. There are no paella pans in traditional cast iron, but there certainly are big skillets in traditional cast iron!

It's up to you: Would you rather pay $90 for this pan, or $35 for a big Lodge skillet?

I've made paella before in a dutch oven, but my recent research indicates it may not have been the most authentic. It was good, though.

I made it similar to how I make jambalaya.

This is how I made it:

In the dutch oven, combine shrimp, smoked sausage, 1 cup rice, 1 cup clam juice, 1/2 cup chicken broth*, chopped onions, minced garlic, canned tomatoes, paprika, thyme and turmeric. Simmer covered until done.

*I used the same liquid to rice ratio as I use for jambalaya, which is 1 1/2 to 1.

You can find more information on paella cooking methods here and here.

The Emerilware jambalaya pan looks exactly like this pan, except it has a lid. And, while there are no "jambalaya pans" in traditional cast iron, there sure are skillets with lids in traditional cast iron!

So I'll have to research this further and maybe make a more authentic paella soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment