google search this blog, doesn't always work

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Cloverleaf donut maker

This is a cast iron donut mold. Its official name is Cloverleaf Doughnut Form.

It's like a sandwich iron, except for donuts.

You fill it with batter and either bake over an open fire, or hold the mold in hot oil to deep fry.

They had 3 donut molds, and 6 donut molds. They were sold in the late 1800's.

What I want to know is, if you hold the mold in hot oil to deep fry, will the donuts come out like plain cake donuts, or like the fried donuts most of us enjoy today (glazed with sugar)?

I'm not sure because I've never made donuts before. Comments are welcome.*

*The general consensus is, these molds were for baking plain cake donuts. Holding the mold in hot oil would "bake" the donut; If you want fried, you have to drop it directly in the oil.

I love me some "hot from the fryer" donuts with butter... incredibly bad for me, but oh so good.

9 comments:

  1. I have one of these and was lucky enough to have the original directions to this. I've typed it up so as not to loose it. Here you go!

    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aVaaTswcICfp3aRULmbX3HvhroQwUMchGSN_q6wW3VY/edit?hl=en

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie, I just purchased one of these for my husband. Would you mind sharing the instructions again? I would be so grateful.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for this. I just got this exact antique for Christmas this morning and was wondering what to use for a recipe (I usually do a fried donut).

      Delete
  2. Can you e-mail the instructions. The link is no longer active. redleg83@hotmail.com. I just purchased one of these. It is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you also e-mail the instructions to jimglatthaar@gmail.com? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are these instructions still available?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Stephanie, we have one of these in our antique shop and would love to try it. Could you please forward the recipe to me. Thanks, Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just bought one at an estate sale and found the Google Doc directions here. I was able to open them with the link in the Nov 10, 2010 post. Thanks Stephanie for typing it up.

      Delete