google search this blog, doesn't always work

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

cast iron crab cakes

This was my first experience making crab cakes.

You know, I lived in Louisiana all my life, and never tried a crab cake until somebody brought me one from Baltimore. I guess it's an east coast thing.

2 cans lump crabmeat*, 1/3 cup olive oil mayo, 1 egg, bread crumbs, worcestershire sauce, old bay seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder.**

*I'm sure it would be wonderful if made from fresh crabmeat. But, I have a problem keeping fresh crabmeat long enough to make a crabcake. I devour it as soon as it's pulled from the shell! Guess that's why we don't have crabcakes here.

**The recipe called for chopped onions as well, but I was concerned about the crabcakes not sticking together on the griddle.

Melt some butter on a cast iron griddle. Mix all ingredients in a bowl, form into patties, and fry on the griddle.

They mostly stuck together, but there was still a little issue with falling apart. I wonder if getting a grill press will help solve that problem.

Many thanks to the reader who posted the comment below: Apparently, the secret to crab cakes not falling apart is, put them in the fridge for at least 20 minutes before cooking.


2 comments:

  1. My husband was from Maryland and makes crabcakes all the time. He says that the secret to keep them from falling apart is the let the prepared cakes rest in the refrigerator at least 20 minutes to set up and then fry them. He's never had a problem with them falling apart.

    ReplyDelete