google search this blog, doesn't always work

Monday, October 11, 2010

Stovetop skillet pizza

Last year, I tried making pizza on the stovetop, in a covered skillet.

But I didn't know what I was doing, and it turned out horrible. Burnt on the bottom, raw on the top. I said "never again."

I didn't know I was supposed to preheat the skillet, and especially the lid, which is absolutely essential.

In fact, the lid should be hotter than the skillet, which should be preheated on low heat.

I recommend preheating the lid in the oven at 400.

But before you do this, you need pizza dough.

In a bread machine on the dough cycle: 3 cups bread flour, 1 cup lukewarm water, 2 tbsp sugar, 1 1/2 tsp salt, 1 1/2 tbsp butter, 2 tsp yeast.

I don't usually make my own pizza sauce, but you can mix tomato sauce, tomato paste, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, basil, and anchovy paste.

Once you have the dough, sauce, cheese, and toppings ready, preheat the skillet on the stove, on low heat, and the lid in the oven at 400.

After the skillet is preheated, place your dough, add your sauce and toppings.

Keep the skillet on low to medium, and then add your lid and let it bake.

I actually baked one in a regular skillet and one in a deep skillet. The one from the deep skillet turned out better, probably due to better heat circulation.

Or you could just use the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment