google search this blog, doesn't always work

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

A separate, designated pan for fish?


Cast iron is porous.

As a result, flavors from the previous meal can slightly linger, and slightly affect the flavors of the following meal.

So, should you reserve a separate, designated cast iron pan for fish, to prevent future dishes from having a slight fish flavor?

Personally, as much cast iron as I have, maybe I should. But, I don't.

And I haven't had a problem with it yet.

If there is a slight flavor affect on the next meal, which there might be, I haven't really noticed.

Pictured above is the Lodge 2 quart oval casserole dish, which is what I use for salmon fillets, because they fit nicely in the pan.

But, I wouldn't necessarily restrict the pan to just salmon. I don't want to restrict any of my cookware to just one purpose.

To each his own, though.

Someone made a really good point: If the pan is well seasoned, that should be a non issue.

So I'll just make a point to fry bacon in the above pan at regular intervals.

***UPDATE: Today I used the pan to roast boudin.

If there was any affect at all from lingering fish flavor, I didn't notice it.

I've cooked salmon in this pan for at least the last 10 consecutive uses, including last night.

So if any pan would have a lingering fish flavor, it would have been this one.

If you're still concerned, re-season the pan before cooking something else in it. But from what I discovered today, it should be OK.

1 comment:

  1. Matt always fries his fish in cast iron. When he is going for a delicate poaching, as tonight with a lovely piece of ling cod, he most usually uses a heavy, copper-clad straight-sided pan, but he says as long as the cast iron skillet is well seasoned, he sees no reason not to use it, and frequently he does just that.

    ReplyDelete