google search this blog, doesn't always work

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

My first loaf of french bread



Since I finally found a french bread pan, I decided to make french bread. That was kind of the point.

I mixed the dough in the bread machine, using the recipe that came with it:

1/2 cup + 3 tbsp warm water
1 tbsp butter, quartered
2 cups bread flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp active dry yeast

Then into the oven at 400* until golden brown.

*I should have done it at 450, for a lighter, fluffier bread.

It was quite good bread; It was more dense than I'm used to. I'd like a recipe for fluffier bread*.

*A couple of tips I found: Add gluten, let it rise an extra 30 minutes, higher oven temp.

This recipe was for one loaf of bread; The pan can hold two loaves.

I figure once I've made 40 loaves, this pan will have paid for itself.

I would use this same recipe for breadsticks or dinner rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment