google search this blog, doesn't always work

Monday, October 4, 2010

My first homemade potato salad

When I was one and twenty, someone asked me how to make potato salad.

I said "you don't make it, you buy it from the store!"

Here's my recipe for potato salad:

The only cooking required is to boil the eggs and potatoes. You can certainly do that in cast iron if you want to, but not required*.

*Normally, cooking food in cast iron has a significant impact on taste and consistency. Boiling is an exception; it has no effect.

I recommend red potatoes; They're less starchy. Others use Yukon gold potatoes.

You probably already know this, but cut the potatoes into cubes before boiling, and peel/slice the eggs after boiling. Peeling potatoes optional.

Use 4 parts olive oil mayo to 1 part mustard. For example, 1 cup to 1/4 cup.

Mix in eggs, potatoes, chopped pickles or pickle relish*, and green olives. Add paprika.

*Could be sweet or dill, depending on your preference.

Some like to add chopped onions and/or celery. I'm fine without it.






No comments:

Post a Comment