google search this blog, doesn't always work

Sunday, October 10, 2010

I thought a popover pan was a muffin pan

This is a cast iron popover pan. I thought it was the same as a muffin pan. It's not.

Popovers are not muffins. They are light rolls made from a batter similar to yorkshire pudding.

They're called popovers because they rise high above the cups, hence they "pop over".

Popover pans are different from muffin pans because they have spaces between the cups, which allows for heat to circulate freely, and the cups are more narrow.

Here's a basic recipe for popovers:

1/2 cup whole milk
1 large egg
1/2 cup bread flour
1/8 tsp salt

Make sure the milk and egg is room temperature.

Whisk the milk, egg, flour and salt into a batter. Don't overmix; A few lumps are OK. Let batter stand for 1 hour, unrefrigerated.

Preheat the pan first! Melt some butter in each cup. Fill the cups no more than halfway.

Into the oven at 450 for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 for 15 minutes.

When they come out of the oven, pierce with a knife to let steam escape.

If you don't have a popover pan, but you do have a muffin pan, use alternating cups.

Do not open the oven while baking! This will cause the popovers to collapse.

No comments:

Post a Comment