google search this blog, doesn't always work

Saturday, July 24, 2010

The Lodge Fajita pan

This is a fajita pan. You've seen them before.

Fajitas are made and served on cast iron. You don't necessarily need a fajita pan; Any small cast iron griddle will work.

First, don't buy "fajita meat" for $7.99 a pound; Buy the cheapest steak available and cut into strips yourself. Or use leftover meat.

Marinate the meat in olive oil, lime juice, cilantro, minced garlic, worcestershire sauce, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, red wine.

Marinate the veggies in the same stuff, separate bowl. I loathe bell peppers, so I used zucchini, onions, mushrooms, and tomatoes.

Saute the meat and veggies in a cast iron skillet or griddle. Warm tortillas in the oven, wrapped in aluminum foil.

I like them with refried beans and sour cream.

I read an article tonight on this blog about the usefulness of fajita pans, for more than just fajitas-- "Except for deep frying*, you can cook just about anything on a fajita skillet".

*and of course, cooking soup or stew.

I agree, since it's essentially a griddle, and the same is true for griddles.

Sometimes you can buy fajita pans in bulk on ebay; The sellers are probably former restaurant owners. I just use my griddles.




No comments:

Post a Comment