google search this blog, doesn't always work

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The pie crust has been a wonderful experience...

Tonight was my first attempt at pie crust from scratch.

It has been a wonderful experience, but I think I'll stick to Mrs. Smith's* from now on!

*Mrs. Smith's is the best brand of pre-made pie crust. It's got to be Mrs. Smith's!

Mixing the dough wasn't hard at all, but I think I added too much water. It was very wet and sticky and wouldn't roll, even when I floured it.

I used the following recipe from Jack's Skillet:

1 1/2 cups flour, pinch of salt, 1 stick butter, 1/2 cup ice water.*

*The important point I missed is, you won't use all the water. And I did, which is why it was too wet and sticky and wouldn't roll right.

Mix the flour and salt, cut in the butter with a pastry mixer, then slowly trickle in the ice water, stirring gradually until the dough balls up. Do not knead.

Roll out the dough on a floured board until it's thin, and shape it to the skillet.

I used it anyway, just put it on top of some leftover stew for a makeshift pot pie.

I learned a "stew to pot pie" trick several months ago: Strain the liquid from the stew, use that liquid to make a gravy using butter and flour, and pour it back into the stew. You now have pot pie filling!

Mind you, that WAS a very good pie crust; it just wasn't a very pretty pie crust. But to me, taste matters more than appearance.

No comments:

Post a Comment