google search this blog, doesn't always work

Thursday, July 29, 2010

The corn fritters revelation

I got a revelation while cooking corn fritters for the very first time.

I realized that this is essentially, pancake batter with corn in it. And that you can make all kinds of other "fritters", such as crab meat or shredded potatoes, by simply mixing whatever you want in pancake batter and frying it up.

The recipe called for 2 cups self rising flour*, 2 eggs, black pepper, 1 can regular corn, 1 can creamed corn, 1/4 cup milk.

*Actually flour with baking powder and salt, but it's easier to just use self rising flour.

Heat oil in a cast iron skillet. Mix all ingredients together into a batter, and fry.

If you make pancakes with bisquick, just follow the bisquick recipe and add your corn.

I once made "potato cakes" by peeling and boiling potatoes, grating them into a bowl, mixing in egg, bread crumbs and precooked onions, and frying.

Another time I tried to make them by frying leftover mashed potatoes. All I got was a brown crust stuck to the pan and hot mashed potatoes. I wonder what I did wrong?

It occurred to me tonight, they can also be made by grating the potatoes in pancake batter, along with the onions and bread crumbs.

Both the potato cakes and corn fritters can be made crispier by sticking them in the oven at 300 after frying.

No comments:

Post a Comment