google search this blog, doesn't always work

Monday, July 26, 2010

chickpeas and rice

Tonight's recipe was another "creativity in the face of tragedy" concoction. Being resourceful with what you have on hand.

I had some dried chickpeas that I normally would use for hummus, but decided to make better use of it: chickpeas and rice.

It's very similar to my wonderful beans and rice recipe in an earlier post:

First cook up the dried chickpeas overnight in a crock pot. Heat up olive oil in a cast iron pot. Add chopped onions, minced garlic, sliced smoked sausage, and cook.

Add the chickpeas, thyme, sage, onion powder, garlic powder, seasoned salt.

Cook rice separately in chicken broth.

The peas were a little watery so I added some wondra flour to thicken. It was good.

Tomorrow when we have this again, I'll slice up some ham I found in the freezer to add.

No comments:

Post a Comment