google search this blog, doesn't always work

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Practical use of the Lodge Sportsman's grill

I tried out the Lodge Sportsman's grill for the first time last night.

The most frustrating thing really had nothing to do with the grill itself-- it was getting the charcoal to light!

The other issue had less to do with the grill and more to do with the learning curve-- how much charcoal to use.

It was slower to heat up and didn't get as hot as I'd have liked, because I wasn't using enough coals.

Also, next time I will flip the grate part, so the legs are sticking up. That will make the grill closer to the coals, and it will get hotter.

Another advantage to flipping the grate is, you don't have to worry as much about food falling off, because there is a "lip" around the edge.

I grilled sirloin steak. There was nothing to it, really; It grilled just as it would on any grill.

For steak, you want to let the grill heat up at least 15 minutes. The hand over the grate to feel the heat, really doesn't apply, as you can feel the heat, but the grate will be much cooler.

I'm used to having a cover over a grill, which allows for faster cooking; The sportsman's cooker would make a great cover, but if you don't have one, any inverted cast iron pot will work to cover the food.

As this was my first time using it, the grate did stick a little-- all cast iron will stick the first few times, even pre-seasoned. I should have sprayed Pam before using.

I used welding gloves to remove the grate when I was done, so it would cool faster and I could clean it.

While you're waiting for the grill base to cool, I recommend you move it to a covered porch, in case it might rain. Rain is bad for cast iron.

It's also recommended you line the very bottom with aluminum foil, for easier cleanup.

Overall I found this grill fairly easy to use, and I'm happy with it. I know what to do differently next time.















1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tip about lining the very bottom with aluminum foil. Seems very obvious after you hear someone say it, but had I just started using it myself, I likely wouldn't have realized it - until I had to clean it up.

    ReplyDelete