google search this blog, doesn't always work

Saturday, January 15, 2011

How do you keep a cast iron charcoal grill outside?

My most recent acquisition is the Lodge sportsman's charcoal grill.

But I wondered how I could keep it on my back porch without it rusting?

There is a protective cover you can buy, but that would only protect the top; The bottom would still be sitting on patio stones, which get wet when it rains.

So I got the idea to order two of them. I put the first one on the bottom, and then the other over the top.

They are elastic on the bottom, so it fits snug.

Now it's nice and protected from rain and snow.

1 comment:

  1. That's a great idea. I would likely had place it on a flat stone off the patio a few inches, coat it in lard like I do my cast iron and season it....yep, season it just as one would their dutch ovens, or potbelly stoves, and maybe even dip the legs in RT-16A Rust Treatment solution to prevent them from ever rusting. Good for about 5- years and does not burn off: http://cowboyandchuckwagoncooking.blogspot.com/2011/01/restore-and-clean-cast-iron-cookware.html

    ReplyDelete