google search this blog, doesn't always work

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Cast iron skillet lasagna!

I had never made lasagna in cast iron before. And normally, lasagna is made in a rectangular pan-- in fact, I have a cast iron rectangular pan* that I got specifically for lasagna. But tonight, I made it in a cast iron skillet, just to prove that it can be done!

*By Old Mountain; Lodge does not have a rectangular pan.

I used the 12 inch regular skillet (vs the one with sloped sides). As I was assembling, I thought maybe I should have used the deep skillet, but the regular one worked fine.

First I boiled the noodles. I put olive oil in the water to prevent sticking.

Then I made the meat sauce. In a separate skillet, I browned very lean ground beef, chopped onions, minced garlic.

Added italian seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder. Add a can of diced tomatoes.

This is normally how I make spaghetti sauce, except that I add mushrooms, zucchini or eggplant.

When everything was browned, I added a jar of sauce. I rotate which ones I use; This time it was Parmesan Romano. Let the sauce simmer for a few minutes.



Then I assembled the lasagna. I thought it would be awkward in a round skillet, but it was no problem at all. First the noodles, then the sauce, then some ricotta cheese, more noodles, and mozzarella cheese. In the oven at 400 until done.

It was suggested to me that I could have mixed italian seasonings and garlic in the ricotta cheese. Absolutely I'll do that next time. I've also had lasagna with added sour cream before, which was wonderful.

Actually, it might have been better if I had made it in the 15 inch skillet; That way, I could have spread it out more, and it would have been crispier, which I like. But if you don't have a 15 inch, you can use 2 skillets and divide it.

I made some garlic bread out of a few slices of the bread I made the other day. Butter, garlic bread sprinkle, dried minced garlic; In the oven at 250.

Lasagna is one of those "two night meals", meaning there's enough to have it for dinner the next night. So I won't be cooking anything new tomorrow, but I WILL be reheating it in the oven!





No comments:

Post a Comment