google search this blog, doesn't always work

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Not quite my grandmother's "snap beans", but very close

I always loved my grandmother's "snap beans", which looked exactly like green beans to me. Any other green beans tasted gross, in comparison.

I've cooked
fresh green beans in a crock pot before, and they were all right.

But I wanted to experiment and see if I could make real "snap beans". I didn't really have a recipe, just took a wild guess.

You need a
cast iron pot for this. If you don't have one, get one-- they're cheap and last forever!

Heat up the cast iron pot. Then pour in some
cooking oil. You could also use butter, or if you want bacon in it, fry it up in the pot first. Let the oil heat up, or let the butter melt, or let the bacon fry.

Have an onion already chopped up; Put it in the pot and let it sizzle for a minute or two. Then have red potatoes chopped-- you don't have to peel them unless you want to-- and add them. Then put the cut up FRESH green beans on top. (Oh yeah, they better be fresh!!!)

The order is important. The onions go on the bottom so they can caramelize, and the potatoes cook in the hot oil and onions similar to
home fries. The beans go on top so they don't turn brown.

Cover with a lid, reduce heat and let it cook for 2 to 3 hours. Check every once in a while.

Then remove the lid and let the veggies cook some more, to get the moisture off. Add a little salt. You now have the closest thing I've ever had to my grandmother's original "snap beans."

No comments:

Post a Comment