google search this blog, doesn't always work

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Learned a new way to roast chicken

This is the Emerilware vertical poultry roaster. I actually did not roast chicken in this tonight.

I learned a new way to roast chicken, based on this video, and decided to try it out.

Of course, you need a cast iron skillet; He recommends the Lodge 12 inch skillet.

First you preheat the skillet in the oven at 500 degrees.

Coat the chicken with salt, pepper, and olive oil.

Feel free to add your own seasonings, or coat with melted butter instead.

Remove the skillet and put the whole chicken in, breast side up. Hear it sizzle!

Since dark meat takes longer to cook than white, you need to have the dark meat touching the hot pan.

Brown at 500 degrees for 15 minutes*, then reduce the heat to 350 for another 25 minutes.

*I wonder, if I'd let it brown for 5 more minutes, would it have made the skin crispier?

When I checked the temperature after the timer went off, it was just under 170 degrees.

So to be on the safe side, I left it in the oven another 10 minutes.

He says "there should be just a hint of pink", but my husband will NOT eat chicken with any pink.

But even though I left it in for longer, it was a VERY juicy chicken!

Now I am left with a decision. I have not used my vertical poultry roaster in over a year.

I don't roast whole chickens very often, because de-boning whole chicken after dinner is a gross job.

I usually buy drumsticks or breast fillets. Chicken isn't my favorite thing, but I do like drumsticks.

So when I do decide to roast chicken again, I'm going to do it this way. I liked how it turned out!

And, this way is done in a regular skillet, not the vertical roaster.

Which is a "one trick pony", unless you want to make a donut shaped cake.

Actually, you could cook a lot of things in the base of the roaster; I just usually reach for a skillet.

And it's not Lodge, so I don't have many qualms about letting it go...

No comments:

Post a Comment