google search this blog, doesn't always work

Friday, June 24, 2011

Lodge enameled vs. the more expensive brands

I previously stated that, regarding enameled cast iron cookware,* I couldn't imagine the more expensive brands being that much better quality, or more functional, than Lodge.

*See also my article on my first experience with enameled cookware, using a Lodge enameled pot.

Then I came across this article, on a blog called The Hungry Mouse, where the author actually compared a Lodge enameled pot with a Le Creuset pot.

In each pot, she made short ribs. I'd have liked to see the actual recipe for such ribs, but it does show the cooking technique, and I have a pretty good idea about what the seasonings probably were.

I'll let you read the article for details, but the conclusion was, there was no difference in quality, between the Lodge pot, and the much more expensive Le Creuset pot.

According to a Lodge employee, Cook's Illustrated has tested Lodge brand enameled cookware, against the more expensive brands, 75 times. Each time, has rated Lodge as equal to theirs.

It all goes to show, folks... more expensive does not mean better.

No comments:

Post a Comment