google search this blog, doesn't always work

Sunday, June 26, 2011

cast iron french roll pan

This is a cast iron french roll pan.

It's not to be confused with a french bread pan, or a vienna roll pan.

It's sometimes called a gem pan, and you could make gems in it, but technically it's not a gem pan, but a french roll pan.

An old cookbook claims that this pan is "nice for baking rolls where a great deal of crust is liked."

It's meant for making... french rolls!

Now, is there a difference between french rolls and plain dinner rolls?

Wikipedia says that a french roll is "often used as a generic term for a bread roll, but also a sweeter, softer roll with milk added to the dough."

Here's a recipe for french rolls, and a recipe for french bread rolls. I don't know if there's a difference between them or not.

I've never made "from scratch" rolls before, but I've made breadsticks.

Tonight I used this pan to make rolls from a "hot roll mix" bought from the dollar store. They were OK, as OK as you'd expect dollar store mix rolls to be.

Eventually I'll actually try making them from scratch; I'm sure they'll be better.

I love the "brown n serve" rolls, and I may try those in this pan too.

No comments:

Post a Comment