google search this blog, doesn't always work

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

They're sometimes called "gumbo pots"

Cast iron dutch ovens are often called "gumbo pots" in cajun country, and that's for a good reason! Here's a good gumbo recipe:

First and foremost, do yourself a favor and use a 7 quart pot. Okra expands during cooking and I didn't know that. I had 2 spillovers and 2 extra pots to clean because I didn't use a big enough pot!

Make a roux by using 2 tbsp cooking oil and 2 tbsp flour. You can do this directly in the pot, or in a small skillet, or (gasp!) in the microwave.

Then pour in the stock. Chicken or seafood stock will do. Then add the other ingredients.

Use whatever meat you want; I used shrimp, crawfish and precooked smoked sausage. If you're using chicken or pork, I would cook it first.

Then add okra and whatever other veggies you want. Okra is NOT optional, as it gives the gumbo its unique texture. I used chopped onion, celery, okra, and canned tomatoes.

Eggplant is also good in gumbo.

Then add spices. I used chef paul's no salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and kitchen bouquet.

Bring to a boil and then simmer until done.

No comments:

Post a Comment