google search this blog, doesn't always work

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Stock making, part 4 - or should I say, broth making

So after refrigerating, the stock was supposed to have hardened into a gel. It was a thick liquid, but not a gel; therefore it's not a stock, it's a broth.

I guess I must be using too much liquid for the amount of bones. I will still proceed, though.

Since it wasn't gelled, there was no need to let it liquify before straining; I skimmed off the fat, strained a 2nd time through a fine strainer, and simmered again for a few hours, skimming off the impurities as it simmered.

I have strained it a 3rd and final time, and am simmering it a 3rd and final time, in order to "reduce" the stock (evaporate some of the liquid to make it thicker)*.

*I wondered if I could reduce the stock in a crock pot, but I couldn't get it hot enough for that purpose.

Then I put it back in the fridge overnight, to see if it would gel. Indeed it did, which is a good thing, since it's going in the Noble Pot Roast!

4 comments:

  1. Channeling Matt:

    "I would reduce it about fifty percent, and then put it back in the refrigerator overnight and see what happens. Go very slowly; you don't want to burn it at this stage."

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I should be able to "reduce" by cooking uncovered on the crock pot, or no? I'd do it on the stove but I had to leave for a while and don't want to interrupt the simmering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually I couldn't get it hot enough to start reducing on the crock pot... it's been a couple of hours now and no reducing has taken place...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt usually puts his stainless reducing pot on the simmer setting on our range. In the winter, it's lovely to put it on your wood stove and just let it go all day.

    ReplyDelete