google search this blog, doesn't always work

Saturday, June 19, 2010

modified version of Hummelgum

Here's another recipe I modified from the book "Cast Iron Cuisine: From Breakfast to Dessert", called Hummelgum.

Now, at first I thought, "No way!" But according to the author, three generations of children have loved it, so I decided to try it.

First I melted 2 tbsp butter in a cast iron skillet. Added chopped ham and browned. Added bite size shredded wheat cereal, then scrambled in eggs, added black pepper. Done!

The original recipe called for bacon, but I figured ham would make it a little less bad for me. I'm sure cooking down chopped onions in the melted butter, and adding shredded cheese, would have been good too.

2 comments:

  1. I just spoke to Aunt Ruth, whose father created Hummelgum some 90 years ago, and she said his original version used ham. So you were very intuitive with that take on it!

    Aunt Ruth reports that the name Hummlegum was just her father's way to tickle her fancy. So there you have it, direct from the source.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool nostalgic story! If my grandmother were still alive, they would be around the same age.

    ReplyDelete