google search this blog, doesn't always work

Sunday, June 27, 2010

How to season cast iron?

I suppose no cast iron blog would be complete without some basic seasoning instructions.

And yes, you do still need to season "pre seasoned" cast iron.

If it's not pre-seasoned, it will have a wax coating that needs to come off. The best way is to heat it up on an outdoor burner and let it smoke off.


For seasoning, lard is best, but crisco is fine too. Not vegetable oil.

Preheat the oven to 250.

Heat the pan for 15 minutes. Remove, take a spoonful of lard and smear it on the pan until it's coated. Back in the oven for 30 minutes.

Remove, wipe off any excess with a paper towel while still leaving a thin layer on the pan, and back in the oven for 30 minutes.

Then turn the heat off and let it cool.

Or just do it the old fashioned way, and fry bacon in it a few times.

If your pan develops a sticky residue, put some water in it and boil. It should come off.

Each time you use the pan, put a thin layer of cooking oil in it for storage.

1 comment:

  1. Hello! I found your blog in my search for anything cast iron. I have fallen in love with this cookware and will be redoing my kitchen to showcase my "art".

    I have learned so much this past month,(Yeah, its only been a month), from a group I discovered on Facebook. I will post the link to it but, if you don't want it here, please feel free to delete my post. :)

    Have a great day!

    https://www.facebook.com/groups/castironskillet/

    ReplyDelete