google search this blog, doesn't always work

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Cleaning cast iron...

The downside of stovetop grilling is, cleaning the grill pan can be a pain.*

*I recently learned that if you put some salt between the ridges before grilling, it makes cleaning easier.

Of course it gets easier as the pan gets more seasoned, but the pan I used tonight isn't to that point yet. As I said in my previous post, I actually used an aebleskiver pan to grill spare ribs.

It's well known that you should not use soap on cast iron; Usually it is easily cleaned with just hot water and a brush. Grilling, however, tends to leave a charred mess on the pan, which can be a lot more stubborn.

When that happens, what works best for me is to put some hot water in the pan and boil it on the stove for several minutes. Sometimes twice is necessary.

ALL cast iron will stick the first several times you use it, even the pre-seasoned kind, no matter what you do. You have to spray generously with Pam each time, and it will still stick a little at first. But it does get less and less over time.

Whew, that's a lot of posts in one day! I probably won't be posting this much every day, but will strive to post at least once a day. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment