google search this blog, doesn't always work

Saturday, February 2, 2013

My first million dollar casserole

Million dollar casserole?  I have no idea why it's called that.  It certainly didn't cost a million dollars to make.

It's essentially, lasagna, except made with macaroni instead of lasagna noodles.

First you boil your noodles in a pot, of course.

Then you make your sauce.  Tomato sauce, with or without meat.  I made my usual spaghetti sauce.

Then you make your cheese mixture.  I normally use ricotta cheese when I make lasagna, but the recipe I was using said to mix the following:

1/4 cup sour cream, 1 cup cottage cheese, 4 oz cream cheese (half a block), 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, garlic salt, pepper.

Personally I would also add some italian seasonings to the cheese mixture (or oregano and basil).

Then assemble the casserole in a 12 inch cast iron deep skillet.  If you don't have a deep skillet, then two regular skillets will work.

Macaroni on the bottom, then cheese mixture, then sauce, then shredded mozzarella cheese.  

If I were to do this again, I'd add another layer of mozzarella cheese in there.

Into the oven at 375 until done.

I'll be eating this for 3 days, I'm sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment