google search, doesn't always work

Lijit Search, click on "site" tab after you search for more results

Friday, May 18, 2012

ground chuck for spaghetti sauce


For the past several years, I've always made my spaghetti sauce with 93% lean ground beef.

I use 93% lean, because I don't like greasy ground beef, at all!  

Which is why I never order a "ground beef" based dish at a mexican restaurant.

But today I decided to try ground chuck, because it was a lot cheaper.

I had to drain the beef after cooking; With 93% lean, you don't have to drain.

I noticed, though, that the ground chuck made the spaghetti sauce more flavorful.

A butcher once told me that ground chuck is best for spaghetti sauce-- and now I know he was right.

Ground chuck isn't as lean, but it's not very greasy either.

My recipe for spaghetti sauce is:

Brown ground chuck, chopped onions, minced garlic, and fresh mushrooms (or sliced zucchini) all together in a cast iron skillet.  Add italian seasonings, onion powder, garlic powder.

Drain.  Return to the skillet.

Add canned diced tomatoes, and your sauce of choice  (whether it's a jar, or homemade sauce).

Add italian seasonings (or oregano and basil), garlic powder, onion powder.

Simmer the sauce until it's ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment