google search this blog, doesn't always work

Friday, November 11, 2011

Pot Lasagna

No, I'm not talking about "pot lasagna" like special brownies.

I had planned to make a crock pot lasagna recipe for about a week, and bought all the ingredients.

But then it occurred to me, how would cooking in a slow cooker affect the way the cheese melts?

I like the way cheese melts in the oven. I can't imagine cheese melting the same way in a crock pot.

So I compromised by making the recipe in an uncovered cast iron pot, in the oven.

Boil the lasagna noodles separately; add salt and olive oil to the water.

Make the sauce in the pot. Brown 93% lean ground beef, chopped onions, minced garlic.

Add garlic powder, onion powder, salt, black pepper, oregano, and basil.

When it's done, add a can of tomatoes and a jar of sauce.

Take some of the sauce out and put it in a bowl, leaving a layer of sauce on the bottom.

Then add a layer of ricotta cheese, a layer of noodles, another layer of sauce, cheese, noodles.

Top with mozzarella cheese. I used Kraft shredded cheese with a hint of cream cheese.

Bake in the oven at 350 until done.

It was quite good. Because it wasn't in a shallow pan, it wasn't perfectly cubed. Who cares.

No comments:

Post a Comment