google search this blog, doesn't always work

Friday, October 21, 2011

Lodge shrimp scampi recipe contest

This is a picture of a shrimp scampi recipe, made in the Lodge chef skillet.

I've never made shrimp scampi, although I do like it and now I want to make some.

Anyway, there's a contest going on:

Whoever can figure out the ingredients to this recipe, wins a free Lodge guitar skillet. Woo hoo.

Actually, this is the recipe, copied and pasted from the Lodge website:

Kosher salt
1 1/2 pounds linguine
5 tbsp good quality extra virgin olive oil
6 tbsp unsalted butter
3 tbsp minced garlic
2 pounds peeled and deveined shrimp
1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (I don't like them so I'd leave them out)
1/4 cup flat leaf parsley
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

Bring a pot of water to a boil with 1 tbsp kosher salt in it. Add the pasta and boil until al dente.

Drain, rinse in cool water, drain again, and toss with 1 tbsp olive oil.

Melt the butter with the remaining olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat.

Add the garlic and saute for 3 minutes.

Add the shrimp, 1 tsp kosher salt, and the pepper. Saute the shrimp 5 to 7 minutes.

Remove from heat and toss with the remaining ingredients.

That was the Lodge website recipe. If I were to do this, I'd probably modify it a bit.

I definitely don't like crushed red peppers so that would be out.

And I don't like parsley either, so I never include that. I wonder how cilantro would taste?

I'd probably add bacon bits, even though that's not usually included in shrimp scampi.

And what about whole garlic cloves? You would need to slow roast them ahead of time in olive oil.

At first I was under the impression that you make up your own shrimp scampi recipe for the contest.

But no... the contest is to figure out their recipe, which I just gave you.

And someone's already figured it out, so they're probably going to win the guitar skillet.

Frankly, if I saw a use for the guitar skillet I would have bought it already. So no real loss to me.

But if anything, at least it's made me want to try making shrimp scampi, which may have been the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment