google search this blog, doesn't always work

Friday, June 10, 2011

My first time ever making bison (buffalo)

I tried buffalo once in a fine restaurant, but have never actually cooked it before.

I assumed it would be cooked in the same way as beef, but not necessarily; Since bison hasvery little fat, you have to watch that it doesn't dry out.

Suggestions for "adding fat" included soaking in olive oil, or milk. It was also suggested that you don't want to over-season because that takes away from bison's unique flavor.

I decided to go with what my late grandfather used to do with venison: soak in milk and minced garlic.

No seasonings were added, although in hindsight, black pepper probably would have been fine.

I soaked it for an hour or so, then grilled on the grill pan.

You don't want to cook it for too long; medium rare is recommended for bison, or no more than medium.

It was delicious! Although I won't be cooking it too often because it's very expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment