google search this blog, doesn't always work

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Cooking on a gas furnace - do not try this yourself




First of all, please do not try this yourself.

If you try this, you do so at your own risk; I'm not responsible for any damages.

This should ONLY be done in a cast iron pot, WITH a lid. Use oven gloves.

Do not fill more than halfway; spillovers can cause a fire. Do not leave unattended.

I have a floor gas furnace in my new house, and it gets pretty hot. I decided to see if I could cook on it.

That is, if you call heating up a can of tomato soup, "cooking".

I figured, if it doesn't work, what do I lose-- a 50 cent can of soup?

It was slow to warm up, but when I checked it about 40 minutes later, it was boiling!

So I enjoyed a bowl of hot soup for lunch.

It's not ideal, since you have no control over the heat. But, if your electricity goes out and you have no gas stove...

1 comment:

  1. Very inventive! (Do you have one of those instant-read thermometers?)

    ReplyDelete